This is for our children...their children...and their children. This is for our family...this is for us!
Originally, this blog was my wife's, but I stole it since she stopped using it. So, now it will be a place for both of us to write and journal our experiences during this journey of getting healthy. For the both of us its more than just losing weight. Yes, we both want to be thin, but more importantly we want to be around for eachother and our children for a long, long time. We want t show our children that it just isn't okay to treat what He gave us so poorly...
We have stopped making excuses and are ready to face the challenge...are you?

Friday, November 2, 2012

Day 53...


I thought it would be a good time to do a bit of updating... Above is my most current progress pic. As you might be able to see I have a lot of work to do on my left side chest area. The good news is my left side shoulder and biceps appear fairly equal (though my left side strength is about 3/4 of my right). I am sitting right about 174. I C A N N O T get out of this. A few weeks back I dropped down to 170 and then, like terrible magic, I work up (literally) and was 175lbs. Maybe it was the creatine? I'm not sure but I cycled off for a week but still haven't moved down much on the scale. My waist is still pretty consistent at 31 inches (I'm wearing a jean size of 32- which are actually falling down in this pic). Still no abs, well really I mean body fat % is still up in the high teens.
I am, by leaps and bounds, doing better on my eating (actually I have been pretty much this entire 2nd round). I have recently enacted a cheat meal- though Kris Gethin doesn't approve- because of the strict nature of the diet and because have been eating like this for about 5 months now.  Last Sunday we went to Red Robin. For the first time in months I felt completely OK with eating a burger and sweet potato fries. I felt no concern about the calories, carbs or fat. I also drank a beer and had cold stone. I didn't gain a single ounce.  Now, I know if I started eating like that every day I would gain...a lot...but I am really starting to understand this whole nutrition thing. My body needs to a "refeed" every week. My brian does too.
For Halloween I gave myself permission to eat as much candy as I wanted. Just the one day (got the idea from Katie @ Runsforcookies). I enjoyed about 20 snack sized candies over the day. Two days after Halloween I am totally fine with not eating any more candy (I was yesterday too).  Its a mental thing, I swear! I am debating on having a cheat meal this week...I don't know if I should/want to count my candy eating as a refeed.
Workouts:
I have been killing it. Seriously. Running, sprinting, cycling, stair climbing. I think the HIIT cardio I have been doing has been helping me the most. Still following the Gethin weight training program. Yesterday I did something like 310 bicep curls (for each arm- 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 reps with increasing weight with each set; then 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 with dropping on each set). I did the same for my triceps (skull crushers).  I have been able to dumbbell bench 70# (140lbs total) for 3 sets of 6. Earlier in the week though I nearly dropped one of the 70 lb'ers on my face because my right arm got away from me. That was scary. That was bad- but I didn't let it stop me, even though it was in my first set I paused, got my shit together, and hit it again. I wasn't going to let it stop me. I have also really started to incorporate squats. The more I read about fitness the more I am understanding about the importance of compound lifts. I have to be careful because of my back but I also can't let it stop me. It means I have to do less weight on the bar, but I still get out at least 60 squats at various weights). In fact today is my leg day and I plan on needing to crawl out of the gym. I find that I need this type of mental state to drive me, I need to keep this level up- if not increase- to get the results I am looking for.
Oh, enough about me...Here is a little update about the fam:
Jessica is doing good, she says she isn't feeling very motivated to eat well or workout; I'm not sure if she has gained weight.  I'm not here to judge what she does, just support and love her no matter what! We are also getting ready to try for a baby this month, so fingers crossed. She will be taking clomid to help the quality of her egg, actually she is taking the same dose as when we got PG with the girls, so lets hope the Lord blesses us with just one. To be honest, I think we could survive twins again, but Heaven help us if there are triplets in my future. Seriously, it would be crazy. (we'd have to get a new car, give them the master bedroom, I'd probably have to get 10 more jobs...) Never the less, we will receive any gifts He sends our way.
DJ is now 12 and is really growing up too fast.  Jocey and Adey will be 3 in 8 days. This is crazy. Just crazy.
I have to head out to a meeting for my sweet Adey- today we are coming up with her IFSP for developmental pre-school.
More to come soon...

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, isn't it fun to give yourself permission to eat as much candy as you want for one day? I think it was worth not eating any in the couple of months leading up to Halloween. I ate about 12 little candy bars on Halloween night, and they were SO good ;)

    ReplyDelete