This is for our children...their children...and their children. This is for our family...this is for us!
Originally, this blog was my wife's, but I stole it since she stopped using it. So, now it will be a place for both of us to write and journal our experiences during this journey of getting healthy. For the both of us its more than just losing weight. Yes, we both want to be thin, but more importantly we want to be around for eachother and our children for a long, long time. We want t show our children that it just isn't okay to treat what He gave us so poorly...
We have stopped making excuses and are ready to face the challenge...are you?

Monday, November 5, 2012

Eating

I am pretty sure I have posted about this before, but I wanted to lay it out in more detail...Getting fit and healthy is like working on my Masters. I'm in a constant state of learning and consuming of related material. In the beginning I didn't understand the importance of nutrition beyond the idea of taking in less than you need to lose weight. And, I did lose weight but in the beginning I was starving. Now, I'm no expert, and I am still struggling to get the scale to move, but I also recognize I am in the middle of bodybuilding. I have to present my body with enough to build lean mass while minimizing additional fat. So far I have only seen a reduction in body fat. So, I must be doing something sorta right.
It is really important to figure out your numbers- how much protein and carbs you need to maintain, build, and eventually lose, as well as what foods work best with your body. For example I know that my body responds well to chicken breast/tenders and lean steak.  I like fish, but sometimes it isn't kind to my digestive system. I've played around with my complex carbs- brown rice, yam, sweet potato, red potato and veggies (carrots dont work well for me) typically are broccoli and frozen green beans.   If you consume too much protein it will be converted to fat, if you consume too many carbs it will be stored as fat. See the trend?  On top of that their is the idea of complex and simple carbs and low glycemic index vs. high glycemic index. There is a time and place for both. Pre workout any carbs consumed should be complex; post work some people find it useful to consume simple carbs (I've heard of some people using gummy bears). Personally, I don't consume any simple carbs post workout. First it might trigger me to eat more sweets and second I haven't found that my body needs this (yet).  Generally I find my weight does better when I limit night time carbs because by then my metabolism has slowed down a bit. 
Suppliments. I've gone from one side to the other on this first thinking that I didn't need any, then I went a little crazy with suppliments and was taking a bunch. Now, I am in the middle. My stand by's are: Whey protein, BCAA + Glutamine, a multivitamin, Super B complex, fish oil, green tea extract and cycled creatine. At one point I had added L-Carnitine and a few others but it seemed a little ridiculous. 
I've also used bodybuilding.com a ton! It is the only place I know of with so much information in one spot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment